screen, projection

Inner forestay

Inner forestay

Postby LePort » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:05 am

Has anyone fitted an inner forestay on an Optima (1987)? If so, how did you go about it?
LePort

Boat type: Dehler 34 VdS

Re: Inner forestay

Postby macf » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:54 am

Hopefully can re-awaken this topic as I'm planning to fit one also.

From looking at my mast, seems I need to fit a new sheave box below the jib halyard. Saw this done on a French D34 recently, where
he had fitted it about 250mm below the jib halyard sheave for use with a moveable forestay - clips to mast base when not in use. Like me he is using hank-on headsails. Seemed like there was a lot going on in close proximity in that area of the mast (potential weakening), with the cap shrouds attached either side of the forestay fitting, plus the jib halyard box, plus the inner forestay box just below it. Would like opinions whether this is a valid concern ie should I position this somewhat further down, perhaps 500mm?

Aside from this, would be interested in advice re approaches to a moveable inner forestay, ie wire Vs Dyneema, where did you attach the inner forestay - fore or aft of the anchor locker? (bearing in mind that I'd like to have room to fit a manual anchor windlass aft of the locker)...

rgds

Macf
macf

Boat type: Dehler 34 VdS

Return to Dehler 34 VdS