screen, projection

Dehler 41DS Windows

Dehler 41DS Windows

Postby Petef » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:51 am

The windows on the Port side of my Dehler 41 DS are really badly crazed and starboard side are starting to go. I got a quote from Hamble Yacht Services which was around £1320 for the parts and £4900 labour to both sides!!! I guess they are telling me they don't want the job :)

Has anyone here had any experience of changing boat windows on a Dehler 41 DS? or any other boat and have some tips because it looks like I'm going to have to do the work.
Petef
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:55 pm
Boat type: Dehler 39 J&V

Re: Dehler 41DS Windows

Postby MSB » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:59 pm

We have similar issues - leaks mainly. Take a look at http://www.syfuga.co.uk and you will see a 'contact' hyperlink. The gentleman who owns Fuga (John) had his windows replaced.
Also (a very 1990s web site though) have you seen the following? http://hadlo-43547-001.dsvr.co.uk/Pages ... ction.html I have been told by a friend that this company proved to be most helpful when he replaced his windows.

There are different Sika compounds and primers required as you probably know already.

Anyway - an initial guide for acrylic windows (PDF) will download if you click the following

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... YtqemJBMzA

Maybe this is of some use. We will have a go at our windows when the weather is favourable.

Post back with news.

All the best.
MSB
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:02 pm
Boat type: Dehler 39 J&V

Re: Dehler 41DS Windows

Postby Fordehler » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:59 pm

I got Dehler 41 DS yard nr. 46 and has recently replased the windows, due to cracs in the polylaminate and ekstensive leaks.

Since the material is quit cheap, but the windiws are curved so we had to make a mould, I ordered 2 sets of windows.
One set is offered to the marked for about 1500 euro+ transport from Norway.

The job is simple to do, but the main problem with my boat was that the yard has cut out to much from the hull, and there is not enough support underneeth the aluminium framing. I had to make new and better support by using epoxy resin as putty and that way creating better support for the gasket material. I used butyl rubber, since most sikaflex,Tec -7 and similars do not addhere well to the plastic in the windows.

Paal Hegen-Jacobsen
pjac@statoil.com
Fordehler
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:02 pm
Boat type: Dehler 39 J&V

Re: Dehler 41DS Windows

Postby Petef » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:35 pm

Firstly apologies for not getting back sooner, and secondly many thanks for your replies. The Window replacement still hasn't taken place due to a) being a fair distance from the boat, b) whe we do go down if the weather is good we go out :) . Also 2014 we cruised to France, and the Channel Islands for a while, and 2015 we sailed to the West Coast, Scilly Isles, Down the West Coast of France calling at most of the French Islands as Far as Ile De Re, Then back up the mainland Ports starting from La Rochelle, calling in at La Roche Bernard, Around Brittany to Guernsey, Cherbourg and back to the Solent. However, now I need to do the work, so thank you for your input.
Petef
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:55 pm
Boat type: Dehler 39 J&V

Re: Dehler 41DS Windows

Postby waljoh » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:06 pm

I see my name mentioned above, so thought I would add a comment.

We suffered from leaks, and also crazing. In 2010, in Turkey, we decided to replace the windows. Working in conjunction with a local supplier of acrylic (mainly for e.g. display stands) introduced by the marina, we removed the windows in groups of 3. Most of them almost fell out. The supplier took the originals away, and brought back precisely cut and drilled copies. Meanwhile we removed all traces of the previous sealant, and cleaned up the seating, finally making sure that it was scoured with wet and dry. We then masked up around the windows inside the boat, and also outside. The new window was offered up, and masking applied to the inside, leaving the mating surface exposed. The mating surface was then also lightly scoured with wet and dry (including the edges).

It is essential to obtain and use the correct Sikaflex UV-resistant primer. This is painted onto the boat, and importantly, onto the window. It is black, and forms a good bond. Following this, sealant is applied, the windows inserted and screwed home, but with small rubber spacers made from the old sealant to make sure that not all sealant is squeezed out. The windows will accomodate the bending necessary to seat properly. The sealant is then laid off with a wet blade, and when dry the masking is removed. Job done.

Result: No leaks whatsoever over 7 years, but the new acrylic is already crazing. Maybe a quality issue with the acrylic, that only cost around 600 euros, including cutting and drilling. We used 14 tubes of sikaflex, and two bottles of primer.

My opinion is that in the original build they did not properly remove the releasing agent, and scour the surface, prior to fitting the windows. The primer is expensive, ($40 per bottle I seem to think), and may not have been used.

Creeping crack cure made the leaks worse, by softening the sealant.
waljoh
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:02 am
Boat type: Dehler 41 J&V


Return to Dehler 41 J&V

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron